Friday, March 30, 2012

Back to the Drawing Board: Insects

My latest area of interest is bugs and how to feature them in my work in an interesting manner. That will not be a surprise to anyone who has been following me on Pinterest lately.
What intrigues me most about insects is the unfathomable number of variations , textures, colors, and shapes that these life forms have evolved into.
Every single species plays an integral role in maintaining their particular ecosytem, and it is hard to imagine how the delicate balance of life will be upset as these species become extinct.

During the last couple of weeks I have finally started drawing again. My usual routine is to wake by 5:30 AM, make a quick cup of strong coffee, and curl up in bed with my sketchpad for an hour or so. It is a wonderful way to start the day.


This is an image of a Virgin Tiger Moth that I have been working on for the past couple of days using pen and colored pencils. I love the distinct  markings and the bold colors. I could not wait to finish my drawing before scanning it and playing with the image in Photoshop. It is amazing how much more alive these creatures seem in my composite image.
 I am absolutely hooked, and my weary little brain is on overload momentarily as it is being flooded with images and ideas for new ways to use my new little friends. I can't wait to start putting them on fabric, and I will probably start going through my shibori pieces to see how I can integrate these images with my hand dyed fabrics.

4 comments:

Robin said...

Your sketchwork is beautiful as is everything you do.
The new dress is pretty cool too:)

Patty Mayfield said...

I too love insects, but can't draw. I do fiber arts in quilts. I love your moth. It is so real like. Thank you for sharing this.
Pattg

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Gorgeous! And I love the idea of having your sketching supplies right next to your bed, for drawing first thing in the morning ... I'm going to try that, thanks!

A.Sproule said...

Linda, It really has helped me get started on my drawing. It is so nice to just play and enjoy the process. I only need a pen, pencils, paper, and an eraser.