Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Workshop: Feathers, Ferns, and Furls

On July 12-13, 2019, I will be a teaching a two day in depth version of this class at Village Sewing in Santa Rosa, CA. All work is done on your regular domestic machine.

 In my machine quilting career, I have created just about every shape you could possibly imagine. One design tendency I have for quilting is to choose one or two motifs or designs, and then I do multiple variations of those designs throughout the quilt.
   That is why the information included in this workshop is so valuable. Many people think "drawing" is very intimidating and something beyond their reach or skill level. Almost everyone's first response to the word is that they can't draw, and they quickly retreat in the opposite direction.
I will take all the fear out of drawing for you.
   In this workshop I will share with you my foolproof method for drawing curves and quilting design variations of the Feathers, Ferns, and Furls to fill just about any space.

These are some of my fern designs. Look at how they pop on the black fabric.
Day One:
• Create amazing, foolproof curves to fit any
areas of your quilt.
• Fill any shapes with your designs.
• Learn stitching tips and optional sequences
to achieve immediate success.
• Practice with traditional feathers and learn
more contemporary designs as well.
These are the furls. Once you know how to draw the curves, you can do endless shapes and variations.

Day Two:
For more practice you can do any of the following,
with lots of help of course!
• Stitch the sampler pattern provided.
• Design and stitch your own original wholecloth
piece using the designs you have
learned.
• Quilt your own quilt or wallhanging in class
or just receive a consultation for quilting
ideas to be used later on.


This is my sampler in progress. It is all about technique, and you can do this too with a little practice.
   More than anything, I want you to look forward to quilting your work when you finish the piecing. I will help you get "unstuck" when it come to options for the quilting of your work.

No comments: